ISSUANCE OF ENTRY VISA
Consulate General issues entry visa for nationals that require entry visa is required for any person coming from a country that require Malawians to obtain a visa when going to their countries except for;
- Nationals from the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC) countries, except for those countries that subject Malawians to a visa within SADC.
- Nationals from a Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) countries, except for those countries that subject Malawians to a visa within COMESA.
- Diplomats accredited to Malawi; and
- All diplomatic and Service / Official Passport holders.
CATEGORIES OF VISAS IN MALAWI
- TRANSIT VISA: This is for the purpose of passing through Malawi to a destination outside Malawi. Validity of transit visa is limited to 7 days in Malawi.
- SINGLE ENTRY VISA: In Malawi, single entry visa means the traveler is granted permission to enter Malawi and apply for a visa permit and the visa is cancelled as soon as the holder enters Malawi. However, if a traveler leaves Malawi just after making an entry, it means he has to buy another visa if he intends to enter Malawi again.
- MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA: This visa allows travelers to make multiple entries into Malawi with the same visa depending on the validity, whether it is 6months multiple entry visa or 12 months multiple entry visa.
- GRATIS VISA: This is the visa which is issued for free to those fitting the exceptional provided for above.
Passport / visa note: All visitors must have a return ticket or onward ticket and documents necessary for return on onward journey for the duration of the stay in Malawi. Extension on visas a possible.
Please note that passport and visa requirements are liable to change. Travelers are therefore advised to check their entry requirements prior to embarking on their journey by visiting www.immigration.gov.mw.